Seth B.C. Shonkoff, PhD, MPH
Dr. Seth Shonkoff is the executive director of the energy science and policy organization, PSE Healthy Energy. Dr. Shonkoff is also a visiting scholar in the Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management at UC Berkeley, and an affiliate at the in the Environment Energy Technology Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley California. An environmental and public health scientist by training, he has more than 15 years of experience in water, air, climate, and population health research. Dr. Shonkoff completed his PhD in the Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management and his MPH in epidemiology in the School of Public Health from the University of California, Berkeley. He is a contributing author to The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fifth Assessment Report (AR5). He has worked and published on topics related to the intersection of energy, air pollution, water quality, and climate change from scientific and policy perspectives. Dr. Shonkoff's research also focuses on the development of the effectiveness of anthropogenic climate change mitigation policies that generate socioeconomic and health co-benefits. Dr. Shonkoff's current work focuses on the human health, environmental and climate dimensions of oil and gas development in the United States and abroad.
Link to CV here.
- Stringfellow WT, Camarillo MK, Domen JK, Shonkoff SBC. 2017. Comparison of Chemical-use Between Hydraulic Fracturing, Acidizing, and Routine Oil and Gas Development. PLoS ONE. 12(4): e0175344. Available at: https://doi.org/org/10.1371/journal/pone.0175344
- Shonkoff SBC, Hays J, Hill L, Krieger E, Hughes D, Hosang N, Law A. 2016. Trump: Renewables for Self-Sufficiency. Nature. 540:341.
Hays J, McCaulley M, Shonkoff SBC. 2016. Public health implications of environmental noise associated with unconventional oil and gas development. Science of The Total Environment.
Shonkoff SBC, Domen JK, Stringfellow WT. 2016. Hazard Assessment of Chemical Additives Used in Oil Fields that Reuse Produced Water for Agricultural Irrigation, Livestock Watering, and Groundwater Recharge in The San Joaquin Valley of California: Preliminary Results. Technical Report. PSE Healthy Energy, Inc. Oakland, CA. September 2016. 17 pp. Available at: http://psehealthyenergy.org/data/Preliminary_Results_13267_Disclosures_FINAL.pdf
- Krieger E, Casey J, Shonkoff SBC. A framework for siting and dispatch of emerging energy resources to realize environmental and health benefits: Case study on peaker power plant displacement. Energy Policy.
Krieger E, McPhail A, Millstein D, Shehabi A, Czolowski E, Hays J, Casey J, Shonkoff SBC. 2016. The Clean Power Plan in Pennsylvania: Analyzing power generation for health and equity. PSE Healthy Energy Report. July 2016. 81 pp. Available at: http://psehealthyenergy.org/site/view/1301
Krieger E, McPhail A, Millstein D, Shehabi A, Czolowski E, Hays J, Casey J, Shonkoff SBC. 2016. The Clean Power Plan in Ohio: Analyzing power generation for health and equity. PSE Healthy Energy Report. July 2016. 80 pp. Available at: http://psehealthyenergy.org/site/view/1301
- Hays J, Shonkoff SBC. 2016. Toward an Understanding of the Environmental and Public Health Impacts of Unconventional Natural Gas Development: A Categorical Assessment of the Peer-Reviewed Scientific Literature, 2009-2015. PLOS ONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0154164. Available at: http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154164
- Santoro RL, Wells MT, Ingraffea AR, Edelstein K, Shonkoff SBC. Under Review. Explaining Spatial Variability in Wellbore Impairment Risk for Pennsylvania Oil and Gas Wells, 2000-2014.
(In alphabetical order) Crane, CM, English P, Heller J, Kirsch J, Kuiper H, Kyle AD, Ostro B, Rudolph L, Shonkoff SBC. 2016. An Assessment of the Health and Safety Implications of Coal Transport through Oakland: Public Health Advisory Panel on Coal. Oakland, CA June 14, 2016. Available at: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/w/oak059227.
- Czolowski E, Hays J, Shonkoff SBC. Under Review. A geospatial analysis of distances between producing unconventional natural gas wells and places children live, play, and learn in Pennsylvania, USA.
- Garcia-Gonzales DA, Shonkoff SBC. 2016. Hazardous Air Pollutants from Oil and Gas Development in the United States: A Systematic Review of the Peer-Reviewed Literature from 2012-2015. A Report Submitted to the United States Environmental Protection Agency. March 2016.
- Shonkoff SBC, Maddalena RL, Hays J, Stringfellow W, Wettstein ZS, Harrison, R, Sandelin W, McKone, TE. 2015. Potential Impacts of Well Stimulation on Human Health in California. In: An Independent Scientific Assessment of Well Stimulation in California. California Council on Science and Technology, Sacramento, CA. Available at: http://ccst.us/publications/2015/vol-II-chapter-6.pdf
- Shonkoff SBC, Jordan P, Brandt A, Ferrar K, Maddalena RL, Greenfield BK, Jerrett, M, Heberger M, McKone TE. 2015. A Case Study of the Petroleum Geological Potential and Potential Public Health Risks Associated with Hydraulic Fracturing and Oil and Gas Development in The Los Angeles Basin. In: An Independent Scientific Assessment of Well Stimulation in California. California Council on Science and Technology, Sacramento, CA. Available at: http://ccst.us/publications/2015/vol-III-chapter-4.pdf
- Hays J, Finkel M, Depledge M, Law A, Shonkoff SBC. 2015. Considerations for the development of shale gas in the United Kingdom. Science of the Total Environment. 512-513: 36-42
- Ingraffea A, Wells M, Santoro R, Shonkoff SBC. 2014. Assessment and Risk Analysis of Casing and Cement Impairment in Oil and Gas Wells In Pennsylvania: 2000-2012. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. 111 (30): 10955-10960.
- Shonkoff SB, Hays, J, Finkel, MF. 2014. The Public Health Dimensions of Shale Gas Development. Environmental Health Perspectives. 122 (8): 787-795. http://dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1307866.
- Law A, Hays J, Shonkoff SB, Finkel, ML. 2014. Re: Public Health England's reply to editorial on its draft report on shale gas extraction. BMJ. 348:g3280
- Law A, Hays J, Shonkoff SB, Finkel, ML. 2014. Public Health England's draft report on shale gas extraction: Mistaking best practices for actual practices. BMJ. 348:g2728
- Shonkoff SB. 2013. Shale gas and tight oil development: look before we leap. Global Energy Affairs.
- Shonkoff SB. 2012. The Frack Gap: well density, environmental and health protections, and socioeconomic status in the United States. A Whitepaper.
- Shonkoff SB, Morello-Frosch R, Pastor M, Sadd J. 2011. Environmental Health and Equity Implications of Climate Change and Mitigation Policies in California: A Review of the Literature. Climatic Change. Volume 109. Supp. 1.
- Jerrett M, Su JG, Ortega Hinojosa OM, Kontgis C, Shonkoff SB, Yuen T, Seto E, Jesdale, B, Morello-Frosch R. In Preparation. Mapping Climate Change Exposures, Vulnerabilities and Adaptation to Public Health Risks in the San Francisco Bay and Fresno Regions. California Energy Commission.
- Shonkoff SB, Chafe Z, Smith KR. 2010. Addressing Inconsistencies in Black Carbon Literature. Poster presented at the American Geophysical Union. Session Title: Black Carbon's Role in Global to Local Air Quality and Climate Change. San Francisco, CA. December 15, 2010.
- Smith KR, Jerrett M, Anderson HR, Burnett RT, Stone V, Derwent R, Atkinson RW, Cohen A, Shonkoff SB, Krewski D, Pope CA, 3rd, Thun MJ, Thurston G. 2009. Public Health Benefits of Strategies to Reduce Greenhouse-Gas Emissions: Health Implications of Short-Lived Greenhouse Pollutants. The Lancet. 374(9707): 2091-2103.
- Shonkoff SB, Morello-Frosch R, Pastor M, Sadd J. 2009. Minding the Climate Gap: Implications of Environmental Health Inequities for Mitigation Policies in California. Environmental Justice 2(4): 173-177.
- Morello-Frosch R, Pastor M, Sadd J, Shonkoff SB. 2009. The Climate Gap: Inequalities in How Climate Change Hurts Americans & How to Close the Gap. The Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE). University of Southern California. Available at: http://dornsife.usc.edu/pere/publications/
- Shonkoff SB, Morello-Frosch R, Pastor M, Sadd J. 2009. Environmental Health and Equity Impacts from Climate Change and Mitigation Policies in California: A Review of the Literature." In: Cal-EPA Climate Action Team Report. Available at: http: www.climatechange.ca.govpublicationscatindex.html